Located in the Griffintown district of Montreal with a smaller space in Toronto’s Junction neighbourhood, Arsenal is a private foundation dedicated to the support, promotion and development of contemporary art. Comprised of two joined industrial buildings, Arsenal has showcased extensive exhibitions of local and international artists such as: Anselm Kiefer, Franz West, Donald Judd, Ugo Rondinone, David Altmejd, The Gao Brothers, Zhang Huan, Nicolas Baier, Rashid Johnson, Nate Lowman, Korakrit Arunanondchai, the Still House Group, David Spriggs, Marc Séguin, Takeshi Murata, Armand Vaillancourt, Michel de Broin, Patrick Bernatchez, Patrick Coutu and Monika Grzymala.
The centres are open to the public year-round. Please refer to the visit section for opening hours and location.
- 50,000 square feet of exhibition space devoted entirely to contemporary art
- Majudia Collection: an exhibition hall featuring a selection of works from the owners’ collection
- Galerie Division: a commercial gallery representing Canadian and international artists
- 20,000 square foot room for corporate and private events
- Over 6,000 square feet of exhibition space devoted entirely to contemporary art
- Division Gallery: a commercial gallery representing Canadian and international artists
Arsenal New York
- Arsenal is a private art center promoting dialogues between contemporary artists working in Canada and internationally. Established in Montreal in 2012, it is the largest private art center in Canada. In 2014 the project expanded to include a location in Toronto. Since its inception, Arsenal’s programming has been driven by renowned artists, presenting them often for the first time in Canada, while promoting dance, performance, lectures, and housing guest projects, including biennials. We are pleased to present Arsenal in New York in 2017, where we will continue to show curatorial projects with emerging and established artists across disciplines.
A former 19th-century shipyard, Arsenal Montreal measures over 80,000 square feet. The building was erected in 1853 by the entrepreneur Charles-Auguste Cantin for the Montreal Marine Works and by 1857 was deemed the biggest shipyard in Montreal employing between 150 – 250 employees and producing steamboats for close to a hundred years before closing its doors. Between 1950 and 2011, the building hosted several light industries, and in 2011, Arsenal took possession of the building making minor alterations to its large rooms and architectural features. Arsenal Toronto is housed in a former lumber kiln erected by the Ontario Hardwood Products company in 1939. In 2013, the vast industrial site (8,000 square feet) was redeveloped to include polished concrete floors, 25-foot ceilings, and abundant natural light.
Private and corporate rentals
For further information about hosting an event at Arsenal in Montreal, please contact Mélanie Boucher at email@example.com.